sábado, 26 de junho de 2010

Hipóteses!



Hypotetical meaning

IF ONLY – I WISH

• Used when we want to regret something we did in the past:

‘If only I had won the lottery!’
‘I wish I had won the lottery!’

• Used when we would like things in the present to be different than they are:

‘If only John wasn’t so stubborn.’
‘I wish John wasn’t so stubborn.’


SUPPOSE – WHAT IF

• SUPPOSE + PRESENT SIMPLE
To describe something that may possibly happen or may have happened.

Suppose someone sees you going into the building

• SUPPOSE + PAST SIMPLE
To talk about something that is just imagination or which is unlikely to happen in the future.

Suppose you won the lottery. What would you buy?

• SUPPOSE + PAST PERFECT
To talk about something that could have happened but didn’t in the past.

Suppose we hadn’t studied so hard. Do you still think we would have passed?
Suppose you found a lot of money, what would you do?
What if you won a lot of money, what would you do?


WOULD RATHER

• Used when we want to express a preference:

I’D RATHER + PAST SIMPLE When we want to say what we want someone or something else to do in the present or future.

I’d rather the meeting started a bit later.

I’D RATHER + PAST PERFECT When we want to say what we wanted to happen in the past.

I’d rather she had gone out more warmly dressed.

I’D RATHER + INFINITIVE (without TO) To talk about our preferences or other people’s preferences in the present or future.

They’d rather go by bus.
I would rather go to the beach than stay at home.

AS IF – AS THOUGH

• Used when we want to compare two or more situations. If the situation is real or likely, we use the Present Simple after the phrase, if not we use the Past Simple, just like with the examples above:

‘It looks as if/as though you need some rest.’ (likely)
‘He acts as if / as though he knew everything (unlikely)


IT’S TIME

• Used when we think something should have already happened long time before:

IT’S TIME + PAST SIMPLE

It’s time you went to bed, it’s already 10 o’clock.

We can also say “IT’S ABOUT TIME” or “IT’S HIGH TIME”.

It’s about time you started doing some work.
It’s high time they were here.


Nenhum comentário: